Saturday, January 3, 2015

Melaleuca, Callistemon or Bottlebrush?

According to online sources, the Queensland Herbarium has accepted the absorption of Callistemon into Melaleuca. Apparently this is due to Callistemon not being dissimiliar enough from Melaleuca to warrant having a genus all to itself, however the change isn't widely accepted and naming will vary from source to source. I've got a hunch though that the old name will stick, as these things often do.

I think my main attraction to them is their fluffy and intricate flower spikes, with colourful filaments that act as a beacon for the nectar-eating birds that are so prevalent in our corner of the world.


Possibly C. Viminalis?
Not from my garden (picked from someone else's)

I for one will keep referring to it as 'Callistemon' or by its incredibly common (and descriptive name), 'Bottlebrush', because I am stubborn that way.


This photo was taken at O'Reilly's Guesthouse when we visited in 2013
You can't really see it in the photo but there were bees all over it

I have a few callistemons, but the majority haven't rewarded me with flowers yet. The happiest (and most floriferous) by far is Callistemon "Glasshouse Country" which I picked up from the local community fair in 2013.


Callistemon "Glasshouse Country"

It gets hot afternoon sun just about every day of the year, but it doesn't appear to care. It also doesn't get much (if any) supplemental water being in the garden on the street side of the fence - (which tends to be a bit neglected due to being out of sight (and therefore out of mind)).


More Glasshouse Country

The beautiful soft pink flower spikes are pretty, but unfortunately after a couple of days they start looking a bit faded and on the ratty side.


They remind me of fireworks

Another drawback of this one is its susceptibility to the dreaded Melaleuca psillid, larvae and adults of which create a white waxy/webby coating on new growth as they feed. I tip-prune whenever I find evidence of them, rather than spraying, which I think the waxy coating would repel anyway.

Glasshouse Country with active psyllids

Close up of the waxy/webby coating the active psyllids create

Callistemon (no ID) showing psyllid damage via yellow and brown spots

Not all callistemons (melaluecas/bottlebrushes) are susceptible to this nasty little bug - I currently have another five of them growing in various spots (a couple in pots) in my garden, and so far haven't seen nearly as much damage on any of the others - even on those growing less than a metre on either side (a 'White Anzac' and 'Purple Splendour'). One thing in Glasshouse Country's favour is that it hasn't let the psyllids get it down - it always looks quite healthy and has even flowered through it all. Unlike the plant in the last photo, a no-ID cascade-style callistemon that had flowers similar to Glasshouse Country in shape and colour. Its infestation was so chronic that I ended up binning it to put it out of its misery (and save my sanity).

I would now like a very vibrant red callistemon to round out my collection, but before I buy I will be researching its resistance to this pest first. Any ideas?

4 comments:

  1. I've actually never seen that white stuff before.. What a pain though. I absolutely love the 'glasshouse country'. I don't like my hot pink one but this soft pink is really gorgeous. I've nominated you as one of my five bloggers for the Liebster Award here. No pressure to participate, just a bit of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Amy! Looking forward to participating!

      Delete
  2. I love the pink Callistemon I sometimes see featured on Australian blogs and 'Glasshouse Country' is particularly choice, Jess. I've been looking for a pink variety here in Southern California but our nurseries and garden centers seem to carry only red varieties. I wasn't aware Callistemon had been reclassified - I'm beginning to think the taxonomists should put out weekly notices of their name changes to help gardeners keep things straight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny isn't it - we are spoiled for choice here, and I want a red callistemon, meanwhile you only have red callistemons to choose from! I hope you can find one for your garden.

      Delete