Saturday, January 17, 2015

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - January 2015

The past couple of days have been hot, sunny and sticky - ideal for drying the washing but not much else. I can't wait for winter to arrive!

I am a little late, but am participating in this month's Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day hosted by May Dreams Gardens the purpose of which is to show photos of flowers blooming in the garden in the middle of the month. 

It's Summer here in Australia at the moment, and there are quite a few interesting things going on bloom-wise. I headed out yesterday afternoon right as the sun was setting (about 6:30pm) to take photos of as many flowers as I could find. I found quite a few!

The bougainvilleas have started growing again in leaps and bounds after I repotted them a couple of months ago. 

Bougainvillea 'Orange Glory' flower bracts

Bougainvillea 'Sunvillea Cream' flower bracts

Bougainvillea (purple no ID) bracts forming

Angelonia getting a bit rangy

Celosia 'Intenz'

The salvias are in fine form at the moment. My latest acquisition 'Wendy's Wish' is still recovering from being planted in the garden (during the recent rains) but doesn't seem to be suffering much for it.

Salvia 'Wendy's Wish'

Salvia ' African Skies'

Salvia 'Blaze of Fire'

Cat's Whiskers (Orthosiphon aristatus)

Marjoram

Anthurium (no ID)

Loropetalum chinense rubrum 'China Pink'

Loropetalum chinense rubrum 'China Pink'
It was a fun challenge to find as many flowers as possible in the garden and take photos in a short timeframe (as the sun was setting the light was fading).

Make sure to head over to May Dreams Gardens to check out Carol's bloom day, and everyone else who has participated this month.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for dropping by my blog and leaving your comment. It's great to see another Queenslander in the garden blogging world. I'm often down in Brisbane as that's where my eldest son and grandchildren live. I was there over the Xmas / New Year and it was stinking hot. It was fairly mild up here before I left, but since my return it's been just plain horrible. We've been getting a few thunderstorms and some scattered rain in the last couple of weeks, but still waiting for the real wet season.

    You've got some beautiful blooms. I just adore your range of Salvias. I really need to get more in my garden. I love that Loropetalum. That's a new plant for me. It's fabulous. You've also reminded me that I need to plant more Angelonias. They are just brilliant in this heat and I love their colours. Great GBBD post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bernie! It has been awful, awful weather this past week or so. I can imagine that it is pretty yuck up there too.

      I never realised how well Angelonias do in the heat until now - they are doing just as good as the salvias (and that's no mean feat!)

      Delete
    2. I'm making a determined effort to add more Angelonias and Salvias to my garden this year. They are real troopers in the heat and humidity.

      Up here we've had a fair bit of decent rain at long last. Lots of thunderstorms have been rolling in over the last week or so, with a bit of lightning. At least the ground has finally had a good soaking. The plants are looking so much brighter.

      Delete
  2. Good idea Bernie! I have plans to expand my collection also...

    We have enjoyed some lovely rain the past week. Sunshine today though.

    ReplyDelete